Click to expand resource information:

Non-confidential means the individuals who work at these centers need to report what you tell them.

UNK Anonymous Crime Reporter

Called “Silent Witness,” this online resource allows you to report a crime confidentially; include as many or as few details as you feel comfortable sharing. Find it here.

UNK Health Care

UNK Health Care is a campus medical clinic that offers medical care to students, located in Memorial Student Affairs Building. For more information, visit their website.

If you become ill or urgently need medical consultation after hours, you can call the Medical Doctor on call for Kearney Clinic at (308) 865-2141. Kearney Clinic is a non-confidential resource and must report the sexual assaults of which they are made aware.

UNK Conduct Officer

A conduct officer can help you understand UNK policies related to sexual assault. For more information, check out UNK Student Conduct.

Phone: 308-865-1619

What to expect if you report a sexual assault (for yourself or someone else) to UNK’s Title IX Coordinator*:

When UNK has gotten a complaint or report of sexual misconduct from you, you’ll get a written letter which describes your options: pursue a criminal complaint with law enforcement; file an administrative charge with an external agency; use UNK’s investigation and disciplinary processes (which take place apart from law enforcement’s involvement or noninvolvement.)

If you do not wish to pursue a complaint and/or want your identity to remain anonymous, your Student Affairs Officer or Title IX Coordinator will make note of that in his or her report. However, the University will balance your request with the need to preserve safety on the campus. (In other words, if revealing your identity plays an important role in keeping other people safe on the UNK campus, UNK reserves the right to reveal your identity. You will be contacted if this happens.)

The University itself will investigate the complaint whether you personally wish to pursue it or not. A case investigator will be assigned to conduct the investigation and decide whether the allegation(s) have merit. The case investigator will also decide if the allegations should be pursued through an Administrative Resolution or through a Conduct Hearing.

As you’re waiting for the investigation to continue, you have a few options: 1) You can ask for a “no contact directive,” which is the college’s way of restricting contact between the people who are involved in the allegations. 2) You can request alternative housing, work, and academic arrangements. UNK may also suspend someone involved in the case if they believe their presence will cause harm to another member of the UNK community or keep campus life from running smoothly.

For more information, check out the official UNK source. If you’re interested in reading the college’s policy for handling sexual assault for yourself, you can check it out here

*Keep in mind that you can get help (i.e., changes in your academic, living, transportation, and working situations) whether a report or complaint is filed at all. But filing a report helps prevent crimes like this from happening to other people.

Confidential means the individuals who work at these centers don’t need to report what you tell them to anyone else, unless someone under 19 is involved.

UNK Women’s Center

The UNK Women’s Center* provides access to resources, a safe place to ask questions or report sexual assault, violence, domestic abuse, or stalking, counseling, and referrals to community and campus resources for individuals of any gender. For more information, see the UNK Healthcare site.

*NOTE: The Women’s Center is a safe and confidential environment. However, please remember: Nebraska State Law requires that any individual who learns of a sexual assault against a minor (age 19 and younger) must report the crime to local authorities, (in this case, either the UNK Campus Police or the Kearney Police Department.)

Phone: (308) 865 – 8248
Email: womenscenter@unk.edu

When you come to the UNK Women’s Center, here’s what you can expect:

  • You’ll be asked if you’d like to have a friend or family member told about your situation. This person can be with you for any portion of the process.
  • You’ll be listened to, supported, and given something to eat and drink (as long as this won’t affect evidence).
  • No one at the Women’s Center will tell you what to do, but they’ll assist you in understanding the options you have: 1) to continue to work with UNK’s Counseling Care or 2) to receive care from a different center in the surrounding community, and/or 3) to fill out and file a protection order.

Counseling Care

UNK’s Counseling Care* offers a twenty-four hours-a-day Crisis Line for reporting sexual assault and confidential personal counseling and support. For more information, see the UNK Healthcare site.

*NOTE: The Counseling Care center is a safe and confidential environment. However, please remember: Nebraska State Law requires that any individual who learns of a sexual assault against a minor (age 19 and younger) must report the crime to either the UNK Campus Police or the Kearney Police Department.)

Phone: (308) 865-8248
Location: Memorial Student Affairs Building office 144

Nebraska State Definition of Sexual Assault:

The State of Nebraska defines sexual assault in the following manner: “(1) Any person who subjects another person to sexual penetration (a) without the consent of the victim, (b) who knew or should have known that the victim was mentally or physically incapable of resisting or appraising the nature of his or her conduct, or (c) when the actor is nineteen years of age or older and the victim is at least twelve but less than sixteen years of age is guilty of sexual assault in the first degree.” (Source: nebraskalegislature.gov)

The state of Nebraska restricts its definition of sexual assault to the very specific act of penetration. Other crimes such as unwanted sexual contact or attention achieved by force, threats, bribes, manipulation, pressure, tricks or violence, such as flashing, voyeurism, fondling, and attempted rape are defined by the state as “sexual harassment.” However, sexual harassment is a serious crime and should always be reported.

Victims of both sexual assault and sexual harassment should feel welcome to utilize the resources available here and elsewhere, as many of these provide assistance to victims of both both crimes.

See More: